What is HypnoBirthing®?
HypnoBirthing® is a long-established method that informs and supports a woman to give birth in a peaceful and instinctual manner. It is a program a that considers the psychological and physical, well-being of the mother, her birth partner, and their newborn baby, irrespective of the birthing environment.
The HypnoBirthing® program offers theoretical and practical education in specialised breathing techniques, relaxation, visualisation, and meditation. Most importantly, it promotes mutual respect for the birthing family and healthcare provider, and encourages families to make informed choices about their birthing experience.
Does it work?
The Hypnotherapy Council of Australia recently published a submission to the Australian Department of Health and Ageing, discussing the efficacy of hypnotherapy in a range of fields. It cited a review by Brown & Hammond (2007), which demonstrated “significant reductions in the use of analgesics and anesthesia and in shorter Stages 1 and 2 labors; and found that hypnosis was beneficial in relation to labor length, pain levels, and the enjoyment of labor, as well as its effectiveness in preterm labor in randomized controlled trials and in a meta- analysis” (Hypnotherapy Council of Australia, 2013; p 6). Further, an extensive survey conducted by Julie Phillips-Moore (2012) revealed that couples who undertook a professional HypnoBirthing course reported a “reduction in pain or discomfort during birth, a reduction in pain medication, fewer deliveries by caesarean section, shorter labours, high Apgar scores and less post-partum depression” (Hypnotherapy Council of Australia, 2013; p 6).
What Will I Learn in HypnoBirthing® Classes?
Unit 1: Building A Positive Expectancy
• Introduction to the remarkable HypnoBirthing® philosophy
• The History of Women and Birthing
• Why and how you can have an easier, more comfortable, and safer birth
• How Nature perfectly designed women’s bodies to birth
• How to assist, rather than resist, your natural birthing instincts
• The vocabulary for calm and gentle birthing.
• Visualising gentle births by viewing beautiful birthing videos
Unit 2: Falling in Love with Your Baby/Preparing Mind & Body
• The remarkable mind of your newborn baby—Prenatal bonding techniques
• Rapid and instant self-relaxation techniques and deepening techniques
• Breathing techniques for labour and birthing
• Hypnotic relaxation and visualisation
• Selecting the right care provider
• The Birth companion’s role in birthing
• Preparing your body for birthing with massage and toning
Unit 3: Getting Ready to Welcome your Baby
• Preparing Birth Preference Sheets
• Preparing the Body for Birthing
• Light Touch Labour Massage
• Your body working for and with you
• Avoiding artificial induction and achieving a natural start to labour
• Releasing negative emotions, fears and limiting thoughts.
Unit 4: An overview of Birthing – A Labour of Love
• Onset of Labour – Thinning and Opening Phase
• Birth explained simply
• Settling in at the hospital or birthing centre
• Preparing for home birth – or baby’s choice of birth
• As labour moves along – passing time through labour
• Hallmarks of labour
• If labour rests or slows – Companion’s prompts and activities
• As labour advances – birthing with your baby
• Protecting the natural birthing experience
• Birth rehearsal imagery
Unit 5: Birth – Breathing Love – Bringing Life
• Moving into birthing
• Positions for descent and birthing
• Breathing baby down to birth
• Baby moves to the breast
• Family bonding with your baby